Saturday, August 7, 2010

Camera Shy by Rebekah Hakkenberg

Yes, that is a cameraman filming me as I try to take a picture. Apparently, if you casually announce to your friends over Facebook that you're are going for a walk the next day to take pictures, the local news just might show up as well.
009
Tourism is a growing industry in Albania, but it is still pretty unusual to see anybody walking down the street with their camera in hand, and doing so attracts more attention from strangers than I am usually comfortable with.  It attracts even more attention when you are being followed by a reporter and her cameraman.

276
123075
298
303
121
It's an odd feeling to have someone filming over your shoulder as you look for interesting subjects, compose shots, fiddle with camera settings, and snap away. I was mortified when they first showed up and I realized what was about to happen, but after the first 50 or so pictures, I forgot they were even there.
Initial discomfort aside, it would be worth it if just one person saw us taking pictures of this beautiful city on the news that day and felt inspired to go out and do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment