Monday, August 16, 2010

Don't Be Cruel by Rebekah Hakkenberg

Elvis was my first crush, so it's fitting that he should be the subject of my first "vintage crush" post... He passed away three years before I was born, to the day.  I grew up on his movies and his music, and dreamed (still dream) of visiting Graceland.  In a lot of ways, it isn't cool to love Elvis anymore, politically incorrect, even.  He "stole" black music, sold out, slept around, ate too much, lived in vulgar excess, made Vegas cool, became obsessed with guns, shook hands with Nixon (actually, wrote a letter requesting that Nixon let him be a government agent to fight "the drug culture and hippie movement") etc... he's come to represent the best and the worst of american culture, but I'll always swoon when I see those dreamy, bedroom eyes and pouty lips.  And I'll always  love Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) 



Priscilla y Elvis Presley










No comments:

Post a Comment