Friday, December 31, 2010

28 for 2011

Because I am a total follower, I've also come up with a list of things I'd like to do this year and since I will be turning 28, my list consists of 28 things. A lot of my things are the same as Rebekah's (Dorothy Barker, Edinburgh, pink room in our next apartment, throw lots of parties, volunteer, Kiva...) but an identical lists does not make for fun reading so I will not be repeating those (except *bam* I JUST did).

This year I am going to visit my brother in Copenhagen. I am going to try out for the Pillow Fight League and if that doesn't pan out, then Roller Derby. I am going to read a book a week. I will write everyday; fiction, reviews, posts, letters; anything that involves putting words to (cyber) paper.

I will cook more and eat more vegetables. I will train for and run the Toronto marathon. I am going to support local artists, artisans, musicians, restaurants, stores and shun the corporate overlords.

I am going to get a banjo and learn to play it. I'll join a squash league. I want to be a better, more present friend. I'm going to engage in more culture -- rock shows, art exhibits, plays, the ballet, the symphony, the opera.

I want to take better care of myself, mentally, emotionally and physically (drink more water, definitely). I will get on the honour roll at school and hopefully get a scholarship (that's two goals for those who are counting). I really want to get to know Toronto better.

I want my writing to be published and I will submit my work like crazy to make that happen. I want to put on mystery-guest dinner parties. I will use less electricity -- read by candle-light, why yes, yes I will!

I want to be able to complete a Thursday NYT crossword puzzle. I'll swim at least once a week. I will be an artist's model. I want to have a pop-up shop. I want to do more things that scare me, that are out of my comfort zone.

I need to learn to deal with my stress-levels and keep those migraines and stress-rashes away. I want to be more positive and in general, a happier person.

I'm going to finish the damn Paint-by-Numbers horse scene I started this summer. I also want to document this whole year and keep lists for all the things I do: books, movies, bands...

Most of all, I want to do the things that I say I want to do. So much of what I want is at my finger tips, completely within reach, and there is no reason in the world why I can't accomplish any of these goals. This past year was pretty damn awful but this year is gonna be the best ever!

What do you want to accomplish? Change? See? Do?

3 comments:

  1. Oh Alex, these are fabulous goals and I love, love, love your 1st list! IN fact I adore lists of all kinds so please make more! And if you need help or a push just let me know :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toronto Marathon: Marathon, half-marathon, or 5km?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm aiming for the full but we'll see how it goes... Side-note, Dee, I want to see you soon!

    Thanks, Kim! I also adore lists, there will be many more! And, I'll let you know if I need any help. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete