Monday, December 19, 2011

Sassy Magazine, 1993 by Rebekah Hakkenberg

via Anothermag
The day I brought my first issue of Sassy magazine home, I found this page and immediately tore it out and put it up on my wall. I was thirteen, and up until that point I had been reading Seventeen without an ounce of irony.

The day I brought that first issue home, I read it cover to cover, like, actually read it, and absorbed it all. Sassy opened up a whole new world to me, one of zines and poetry and Juliana Hatfield and Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore. It was everything to a girl like me, on the brink of her teens and stuck in the suburbs before we really knew what an "internet" was and yearned for something cooler than the YM's and Seventeens. This page, in particular, shone new light on the vapid poses and vacuous nature of the other magazines I could have chose at the supermarket that day. When I saw this, I knew that I had made the right choice. I knew that I was on my way to becoming the hip, smart, and yes, sassy girl that I so desperately wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment