Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pompeii Part I by Rebekah Hakkenberg

1057
So why the sudden outpouring of posts after such a dry spell, you ask?  The answer, quite simply is that I threw my back out and have been in bed for the last 3 days.  Fun.  At least it gives me the chance to catch up on this, and to go through my 1642 photos I took while I was in Italy.
Here are some of my favourites from Pompeii.


1099
1070
1086
1088
1128
1145
1138
1147

It's been my dream to visit Pompeii since I was a little girl. If I believed in reincarnation (maybe I do, actually...) I'd be convinced that I lived in Pompeii in another life. I've had a fascination with the ancient world for as long as I can remember, and I've visited the pyramids in Egypt, the Acropolis in Athens and Knossos in Crete, and various ancient ruins in Albania and Turkey, as well. But the place I've always felt a deep connection too is Pompeii. It had a different feeling from any of the other sites I've been to, as if I'd been there before. Sure, I've stared at slides of the Villa of the Mysteries and the House of the Faun for hours in class, but I've spent as much time if not more studying the other ancient sites I listed, and I never felt the same connection with those places as I did here...

No comments:

Post a Comment